Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Cosmetic Industry Career Cosmetic Formulation Agreement

• Cosmetic Formulation Agreement

Posted by lookoutitscaleb on August 28, 2021 at 10:33 pm

Greetings, 

I have worked in the Cosmetic industry for 6+ years formulating and testing products. I helped to develop a brand from ground 0 to incredibly successful in 3 years. I have also helped a handful of startups in creating their products and setting them on the right path as a consultant. (from procedures, formulations, market insight, ingredient + packaging suppliers, design, labeling, branding, profit vs cost, etc..)

It has been awhile since I have worked as a consultant and I am currently moving back into that area of work. 

The first company I helped build taught me a lot about IP and business and I am wanting to protect myself moving forward with new clients. 

Does anyone have a mock-up write up of a Formulation Agreement I could use as a starting point in working with new clients? 

The old agreements I used I am not able to find and most of the google searches come up with Manufacturing agreements, not formulation and procedure agreements. 

Any and all insight is greatly appreciated. All the best. 

chemicalmatt replied 2 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • chemicalmatt

September 3, 2021 at 3:43 pm

With my consulting clients, they ultimately own the IP of formulation, which is the entire purpose of the engagement: to own the formula, release specs, processing, sources, etc. However, if they expect this to be exclusive, that is written into the initial agreement, otherwise I can share the formulation - slightly revised, of course, to be ethical - with future clients. This is why the hourly professional service fee or monthly retainer fee is important. I’ve learned not to undersell my skills.