Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Cosmetic Industry Career Cosmetic marketing tip’s

• Cosmetic marketing tip’s

Posted by abdullah on March 9, 2021 at 5:27 am

A lot of us here want to sell the products we are making and many of us have already started a business by selling what we make. So let’s share our experiences as a cosmetic business startup to help each other grow our business.

Any idea, experience or suggested book to read for this purpose. 

abdullah replied 3 years ago 6 Members · 15 Replies
  • 15 Replies
  • abdullah

March 9, 2021 at 5:49 am

I have experienced that the quality of our products change and improve very often. The product we make now has much better quality than same product from last year. If a customer has purchased our product last year and didn’t like it, they may like it if they purchase it now. But they won’t purchase what they didn’t like again because we know the quality has changed and improved but they dont know that. So it work better to after some time make another company by another name and sell our products in both although actual product is the same.

This trick worked well for me.

I think that was the reason for big companies like p&g that started many sub companies that sell the same product for example Shampoo.

• pattsi

March 9, 2021 at 9:48 am

For startup, like every businesses, it’s better to have business model planned, you can make simple business model yourself so you can estimate your budget and revenue.

there’re many ways to approach your consumers.

One aspect many companies ignored is after sales service. 

I believe most of startup want to start with online sale so public relation and communication is an important key.

I bought seasonal gifts for my friends from 2 stores.
    The 2nd store is very attentive, they e-mail me to check if the order is right and everything. So I have better experience with the 2nd store.   

• oldperry

March 9, 2021 at 3:25 pm

An excellent book I’d suggest is Will It Fly by Pat Flynn.
    Another one is the $100 Startup by Chris Guillebeau.
    Finally, Ready Fire Aim by Michael Masterson

These two will help you figure out if you have an idea that is any good.  The key though is to come up with a compelling story. I see way too many startup brands out there saying “paraben free” or “clean beauty” without providing any useful benefit. 

The reality is that you can’t make a cosmetic product that will provide a unique benefit. So, you’ll need to come up with some origin story and develop a following of fans who like your stuff. Then you can sell them a product that solves problems they have. Sure they can buy other things that solve the same problem but if they like you, they’ll buy from you.

Here’s a strategy I would suggest.

1.  Find an audience you want to serve. (narrower is better but not too narrow that there isn’t any money in it). Find in Facebook, Instagram or other social media.

2.  Interact with that audience and figure out what their problems are. Also, give helpful solutions without trying to sell them anything.

3.  Once you’ve been useful to people, then you can start pitching your products.

4.  Keep a consistent presence on whatever social media channel is successful for you.

5.  Identify key words or phrases that your audience is using to find solutions to the problems you are solving.  Then start a website that is optimized for search engine traffic based on those keywords.

6.  Once you have enough of an audience, develop products and invest in your first production run. 

7.  Then focus on getting your marketing message out.

8.  Don’t give up until you’ve sold all your inventory!  Many a garage are filled with unsold first production run of products.

Good luck!

• abdullah

March 9, 2021 at 3:30 pm

Pattsi said:
    I believe most of startup want to start with online sale so public relation and communication is an important key.

I bought seasonal gifts for my friends from 2 stores.
    The 2nd store is very attentive, they e-mail me to check if the order is right and everything. So I have better experience with the 2nd store.   

Good point about after sale communication. 👍🏻

we sell to stores and our customers purchase from stores.They communicate with shopkeeper and we are not in direct communication with consumer.

We will add the phone number on label the next time we were printing label’s so consumer would be able to directly communicate with us if necessary.

• abdullah

March 9, 2021 at 4:10 pm

Perry said:

An excellent book I’d suggest is Will It Fly by Pat Flynn.
    Another one is the $100 Startup by Chris Guillebeau.
    Finally, Ready Fire Aim by Michael Masterson

These two will help you figure out if you have an idea that is any good.  

Thanks for the books. 
    From these 3 books, Which two will help figure out if we we have an idea that is any good? 

Sure they can buy other things that solve the same problem but if they like you, they’ll buy from you.

This is a good point. I will start campaigns in facebook just for the purpose of making people love our company. 

• oldperry

March 9, 2021 at 4:27 pm

Of those 3, Will it Fly will help you figure out if you have a good idea.

• abdullah

March 9, 2021 at 4:36 pm

@Perry thanks

• microformulation

March 9, 2021 at 10:06 pm
    1. Ultimately a Cosmetic Line is a Business. You will win or lose through solid Business practices. You should be incredibly honest; “are you a Businessperson who needs a Formulator, or a Formulator who needs a Business partner? In my experience, it isn’t sustainable to try and fill both roles.
    2. Don’t go in with an inadequate budget. Early on you will not see discounts you will see as you get larger. Most start-ups have more time than money. Your only real savings will be in taking on your own Project Management.
    3. A product will succeed based upon an effective Marketing strategy. Simply crowing that you are “natural” no longer will differentiate you from the crowd. You need to deliver the promised Cosmetic benefits (efficacy) and meet Market expectations for price. Know your projected Customer. WHY should they purchase your product with all the other options?
  • jemolian

March 10, 2021 at 12:50 am
    we sell to stores and our customers purchase from stores.They communicate with shopkeeper and we are not in direct communication with consumer.

We will add the phone number on label the next time we were printing label’s so consumer would be able to directly communicate with us if necessary.

If you sell to stores, it would be good to communicate to the retailers well. Providing them with product knowledge, sufficient marketing materials, etc, would be useful in selling the products.  

As someone that use to work in a small online skin care retail store as a marketer, that’s what i would recommend and expect to see from brand companies where support would always be greatly appreciated. 

As a brand owner, online presence where you can do social media marketing and monitoring, pre-sales and post-sales would also be important. That would be one good way to understanding your demographic for various reasons. 

• abdullah

March 10, 2021 at 2:34 am

@Microformulation good tips especially the 2nd one.
    Thanks

• abdullah

March 10, 2021 at 2:51 am

jemolian said:

If you sell to stores, it would be good to communicate to the retailers well. Providing them with product knowledge, sufficient marketing materials, etc, would be useful in selling the products.  

Although Currently we are more focusing in wholesalers. I will keep in mind that end customer is purchasing from retailers and they should have enough knowledge and support.
    Thanks 👍

• JonahRay

March 10, 2021 at 2:52 am

Like @Perry mentions, you really have to build up your audience. With my business I’ve had the most success by creating a little community and actually befriending a lot of my customers through social media. I actually talk with a lot of them on a daily basis. It also helps to make friends with other small business owners! PS. I use the word success very loosely though haha.

• abdullah

March 10, 2021 at 3:10 am

I use the word success very loosely though haha.

Good idea
    Thanks

• pattsi

March 11, 2021 at 12:59 pm

How to do marketing really does depend on your consumers’ demographic.
    What is the best way for your product’s message to reach them also 
    depend on your consumers’ demographic.

You mentioned wholesalers/retailers, if you have a good business partners that will make the sale easier, they know their audience base’s behavior.

Indian trader/wholesaler companies are really superb if the product is good and the price is within competitive range, they can make the sale really fast, you just support marketing medias but one downside they want big cut tho. 

Online presence - facebook, IG, website… in this era it is a must have for every brands and never been easier to start one.
    Some American brands do well on social media but some Indian brands have low engagement on social media whereas they do have very high engagement on youtube, which way works best for your brand you will have to figure it out.

It’s always good to have your own story and brand image for marketing, if you yourself can’t see your brand apart from others then how could your potential customers tell.

1. Ultimately a Cosmetic Line is a Business. You will win or lose through solid Business practices. You should be incredibly honest; “are you a Businessperson who needs a Formulator, or a Formulator who needs a Business partner? In my experience, it isn’t sustainable to try and fill both roles.
    2. Don’t go in with an inadequate budget. Early on you will not see discounts you will see as you get larger. Most start-ups have more time than money. Your only real savings will be in taking on your own Project Management.
    3. A product will succeed based upon an effective Marketing strategy. Simply crowing that you are “natural” no longer will differentiate you from the crowd. You need to deliver the promised Cosmetic benefits (efficacy) and meet Market expectations for price. Know your projected Customer. WHY should they purchase your product with all the other options?

As Mark pointed out the most important message is Why.

• abdullah

March 12, 2021 at 1:09 pm

@Pattsi thanks 😊