Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating BKC as good as alcohol

• helenhelen

December 7, 2020 at 6:55 pm

I personally find benzalkonium chloride incredibly drying, albeit the products that contain it are drying. It feels fine on application but is eventually turns my skin into a sore, cracked mess. I’ve used alcohol-based hand sanitisers that don’t strip at all even when used repeatedly… I avoid BKC unless it is in a cleaning product and I am wearing rubber gloves.

• oldperry

December 7, 2020 at 7:26 pm

I saw it pointed out about this article that…

1. FDA recommendations on hand sanitizers during pandemic is based on the ability to get it made quickly. Ethanol can be produced much more quickly than BKC.

2.  Also, BKC resistance is a problem so formulating with it has to be done properly. Alcohol resistance isn’t a thing because organisms cant proliferate in alcohol.

• Benz3ne

December 8, 2020 at 10:16 am

On top of the above, what really makes it ‘better’ against CoV-19? 

Ethanol is found to reliably kill coronaviruses (and other viruses) as published by Siddharta et al in 2017 with concentrations as low as 40% - https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28453839/

As much as BKC is a solidly performing biocide, the ease of formulation and production of ethanol-based disinfectants reigns supreme.

• ketchito

December 8, 2020 at 12:52 pm

The studies that WHO and CDC used to make their recommendations (https://www.journalofhospitalinfection.com/action/showPdf?pii=S0195-6701%2820%2930046-3) showed a much higer contact time to inactivate (reduction of >=4log10) the virus. While Ethanol, Isopropanol, Sodium hypochlorite and Hydrogen peroxide took around 30-60s, BKC took up to 10 min, and even at that time, the viral count didn’t reach the population reduction required. Also, BKC is not active against spores and can be deactivated by anionic particles like the ones found in many types of soils.   

• pattsi

December 9, 2020 at 1:17 pm

WHO and CDC doesn’t make their recommendations lightly, some author need to get real, these days they don’t even bother to gel it.