• Edible?

Posted by belassi on October 17, 2020 at 10:32 pm

I am wondering which of the oils and esters are edible. Or are they ALL edible? For instance, could I use capric-caprylic triglicerides in brownies? Or a very water-like (viscosity-wise) ester from (I forgot the name and the lab supplies are packed up)

Benz3ne replied 3 years, 5 months ago 5 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • pharma

October 18, 2020 at 8:34 am
    Most are edible though many ester oils (which are by definition liquid waxes) aren’t digestible and come out on the back the way they got in at the front.
    Capric/caprylic triglyceride is just fractionated coconut oil, and hence is edible and fully digestible like all mono-, di-, and triglycerides of ‘normal’ fatty acids.
    I’d be careful with branched-chain fatty acids and fatty alcohols such as isostearyl isostearate and esters of Guerbet alcohols like ethylhexyl and octyldodecyl esters. These are not digestible and usually not metabolisable by humans (only by microbes) though they can still be bioavailable which may render them not so healthy.
    Esters of propylene glycol and other di- and polyols may be edible or may not be. I’d be hesitant eating for example glycol distearate.
  • belassi

October 18, 2020 at 2:45 pm

Thank you!

• Herbnerd

October 20, 2020 at 12:43 am

Capric/Caprylic acid triglycerides (often sold as medium chain triglycerides) are perfectly edible. 

You find this is popular amongst keto devotees for weight-loss

• Agate

October 20, 2020 at 6:05 pm
    Reminds me of the wonderfully weird stearic acid croissant diet: https://fireinabottle.net/introducing-the-croissant-diet/

• Benz3ne

October 26, 2020 at 10:22 am

I’d advise against eating anything with Castor Oil in it, personally. Technically edible but will make you sh*t hard, for days.
    As for your capric-caprylic triglycerides question, can’t see any reason why you can’t use it in your brownies!