Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Cosmetic Industry Food Grade Ingredients in Cosmetic Products?

• Food Grade Ingredients in Cosmetic Products?

Posted by Anonymous on May 13, 2019 at 6:17 pm

Hello World,

First time posting on the forum.  My question is:  Are there any regulations that specifically prohibit the use of food grade ingredients in cosmetics? I searched through the forum and on google and couldn’t find a clear answer.

I understand that in general food grade ingredients have a higher plate count than cosmetic grade ingredients, so to a degree it would be “bio-burdening” the preservative system I suppose.  

Anonymous replied 4 years, 10 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • duncan

May 13, 2019 at 7:05 pm

Not specifically prohibited, however, as you mention spores and higher than normal TVC compared to cosmetic materials can be an issue
    Items like Honey, Royal Jelly, Yoghurt, Cocoa powder can be bug central, however, pasteurising in a batch can help
    Some food grade materials can also be “Not great” when it comes to cosmetics 
    for instance citrus oils can be a photo irritation issue when applied direct to the skin, things like cinnamon applied direct to the lips can cause irritation

Things like edible vegetable oils of course are fine

• oldperry

May 13, 2019 at 7:21 pm

In the US, the regulations say that it is illegal to sell unsafe cosmetics. If you can prove that your products are safe, then you can use food grade ingredients. Proving safety will be challenging.

• Anonymous

May 13, 2019 at 7:29 pm

Thank you Duncan and Perry!