Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating what’s different between HLB valu and required HLB ?

• what’s different between HLB valu and required HLB ?

Posted by nasrins on May 22, 2014 at 4:44 am

what’s different between HLB valu and required HLB ? does any body have useful papers or websites?

chemist77 replied 9 years, 10 months ago 3 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • chemist77

May 22, 2014 at 4:52 am

Required HLB value is calculated by taking into consideration the individual HLB values of the oil phase components of a non-ionic emulsion. Check the sites below how the calculations are done. It helps you in choosing the best emulsifier for your non-ionic emulsion.

http://makingskincare.com/hlb-calculator/

http://www.lotioncrafter.com/pdf/The_HLB_System.pdf (my fav)

http://www.firp.ula.ve/archivos/historicos/76_Book_HLB_ICI.pdf

• nasrins

May 22, 2014 at 4:57 am

I studied both of them.HLB valu and required HLB  are different 

• chemist77

May 22, 2014 at 5:02 am

Good then why don’t you shed some light on it. Maybe I am confused here.

You arrive at the required HLB by doing some mathematical calculations and taking into consideration the individual HLB values of the oil phase of the non-ionic emulsion. 
    Does it make any sense to you?????
  • nasrins

May 22, 2014 at 5:12 am

I thin HLB valued is theoritical however required HLB is experimental.

• chemist77

May 22, 2014 at 5:13 am

BTW nasrins tell me how those theoritical HLB values were assigned, just randomly or after experiments and trials. 

• nasrins

May 22, 2014 at 5:17 am

do u mock me? if i had enough information I didnt ask.

• chemist77

May 22, 2014 at 5:34 am

Not I am not mocking you, I simply overlooked the fact that one is an experimental value and the other is theoritical. And by taking into account these theoritical values we arrive at experimental values which I suppose sound more realistic.
    Appreciate the praise though.

Cheers

• oldperry

May 22, 2014 at 9:56 am

Required HLB is the HLB needed to emulsify an oil.  It is determined experimentally.  You can find a list of them and how they were determined in this link.

The The HLB number is an indication of the percentage weight of the hydrophilic portion of the nonionic emulsifier molecule. Thus, if a nonionic emulsifier were 100% hydrophilic, you would expect it to have an HLB of 100. But it’s easier to deal with smaller numbers so everything is divided by 5 making the maximum HLB value of any material 20.  

Required HLB refers to oils
    HLB value refers to emulsifiers
  • chemist77

May 22, 2014 at 10:04 am

@Perry cudn’t explain the same to nasrins, u did it wonderfully.

• chemist77

May 22, 2014 at 1:17 pm

@nasrins Perry has pointed out what you did and it was indeed a very good point that u made on theoritical n experimental aspect

cheers