Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Leave on conditioner

• Leave on conditioner

Posted by Anna_Maria on September 29, 2022 at 7:15 am

Hello!
    Does anyone knows the recommended usage of behentrimonium chloride and cetrimonium chloride in leave on products?

oldperry replied 1 year, 5 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • marimaster_3991

September 29, 2022 at 3:55 pm

Hi, @Anna_Maria!

You need to be more specific, like what kind of product you are formulating… is it more like a creamy conditioner, or a light lotion, or a spray… the % of btac and ctac depends on how viscous and structured you want the product to be.

Check the technical information of these ingredients that the supplier usually send, maybe there’s something there that will guide you. 

But if you’re looking for a light fluid leave on hair products: 1% BTAC and 1.5% CTAC worked for me. 

• paprik

September 29, 2022 at 6:12 pm

Both ingredients are doing basically the same so I would stick to one and test it out. Check regulatory limits (usually they have a special one for leave-on products) and go with it. Below are limits from CosIng (Europe).

• Anna_Maria

September 30, 2022 at 4:58 am

@Paprik Thank you ! Can you please share with me the reference where you found them. Thank you

• paprik

October 1, 2022 at 2:56 am

Sure, 

https://ec.europa.eu/growth/tools-databases/cosing/index.cfm?fuseaction=search.simple

search for an ingredient. Find the ingredient, open it and you can see Cosmetics Regulation provisions (Annexis) and SCCS Opinions. They are usually loooong articles, so if you have problems with sleeping you can read them all, oooor just jump to the end to the conclusion and find your answers. 

Hope this helps? :) 

• oldperry

October 1, 2022 at 1:04 pm

The CIR in US recommends a maximum of 0.25% cetrimonium chloride for leave on