Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Does using preservatives in solution with probiotics negate the probiotics’ positive effects?

• Does using preservatives in solution with probiotics negate the probiotics’ positive effects?

Posted by bacteriaboi on August 30, 2022 at 9:06 am

Hi,

I am formulating a deodorising solution with Biolin (Inulin and Alpha Glucan Oligosaccharide) and i am using sodium benzoate and potassium benzoate as preservatives. I have found varying answers from a deep dive google search but nothing definitive in regards to their interactions and if the antimicrobial properties of the preservatives essentially negate or disrupt the efficacy of the biolin.

Could someone help provide me with any suggestions on how they would interact?

Thanks

PhilGeis replied 1 year, 7 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • PhilGeis

August 30, 2022 at 11:00 am

Those are not probiotics.  
    If prebiotics - and I wonder at that - you’d not expect an effect and data generally indicate (preserved) cosmetics do not impact microbiome.  That said, relevant reports use different methods with little validation.

• markbroussard

August 30, 2022 at 11:34 am

@bacteriaboi

The “probiotics” “prebiotic” ingredients are just like any other ingredient and the preservative will not have any effect on them.

• oldperry

August 30, 2022 at 2:45 pm

For the curious, here is information on Biolin.

It’s a pre-biotic sugar so preservatives will likely have no impact on the material. 

Of course, the reality is that this is simply a claims ingredient. As far as product performance goes, the consumer will unlikely notice ANY difference whether the ingredient is in your formula or not. 

The claims are all written to sound like they are saying something without saying anything.  What exactly does it mean when they say it “…Works with the body. Supports the natural Lactobacillus barrier”?  What doesn’t support the lactobacillus barrier?

Then they provide no peer reviewed evidence. They simply claim their products are clinically proven. It’s pretty easy to clinically prove anything, especially if you don’t show the test that you did.

Currently, not enough is known about the skin microbiome & what is good or bad. Ingredients that promise to target it are just marketing stories.

• PhilGeis

August 31, 2022 at 7:20 pm

Think the most humorous/cynical is Mother Dirt - https://motherdirt.com/

Claims to restore a microbe, formerly THE bug on skin of earthy humans and lost eons past, to the great benefit of current skin.   Also tosses in a bunch of alleged “Post-” and “Pre-” biotics.