Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating What causes lotions to expand out of the bottle?

• What causes lotions to expand out of the bottle?

Posted by Formi on August 3, 2022 at 3:07 pm

Hi ☺️

I’m not much of a cosmetic scientist, but there’s something I’ve experienced recently when trying to replicate a hair makeup formula for my personal use - I find that some of my samples are stable for 24 hours then start to expand once they’re sealed (to the extent that it warps the jar and makes a popping sound when it’s opened) Any ideas why this might be happening?

just a simple emulsion with water, glycerin (2%) , btms-50 (3.5%), oils(2%)  Cetyl alcohol (2%) , mica, silk protein, panthenol and preservatives (germall plus)

I make sure I properly sanitize all of my equipment before using and I use an overhead stirrer without the “dissolve type” stirring head

PhilGeis replied 1 year, 7 months ago 6 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • abdullah

August 3, 2022 at 3:31 pm

How much preservative are you using? 

Is your protein liquid or powder form? 

• Formi

August 3, 2022 at 3:35 pm

Abdullah said:

How much preservative are you using? 

Is your protein liquid or powder form? 

I use 0.5% germall plus and 0.5% hydrolyzed silk protein (liquid) 

• bill_toge

August 3, 2022 at 5:27 pm
    are your samples very aerated at the point of filling?
    if there’s enough of it, air being released from an aerated product could pressurise the container
  • Formi

August 3, 2022 at 5:45 pm

Bill_Toge said:

are your samples very aerated at the point of filling?
    if there’s enough of it, air being released from an aerated product could pressurise the container

No it’s not the filling method, the product is fine the first day but it then pours out of the container with a weird texture when I open it the day after. I’ve searched all over but can’t find an explanation. Maybe one of my ingredients is contaminated? I’m testing all of them this evening to see 

• oldperry

August 3, 2022 at 10:07 pm

Sounds like a job for the knockout experiment 

• Formi

August 3, 2022 at 10:34 pm

Perry said:

Sounds like a job for the knockout experiment 

For sure! I’ve already started testing each of the ingredients and will get back with my results. So far I’ve found out that the current glycerin I use has a green tint and a strong odor compared to the one I got from another supplier which is weird, but i’ll see how it turns out two days from now and will update this thread.

• ketchito

August 4, 2022 at 12:16 pm

@Formi If you have the chance, run some microbiological test on your Hydrolyzed silk. We identified often contamination of some batches of our hydrolyzed proteins, which are very sensitive to contamination, especially the ones poorly preserved.

• Formi

August 4, 2022 at 1:30 pm

ketchito said:

@Formi If you have the chance, run some microbiological test on your Hydrolyzed silk. We identified often contamination of some batches of our hydrolyzed proteins, which are very sensitive to contamination, especially the ones poorly preserved.

This is extremely helpful thank you! 

• PhilGeis

August 4, 2022 at 1:56 pm

I did not see mention micro test on an expanded product.

• Formi

August 4, 2022 at 7:14 pm

PhilGeis said:

I did not see mention micro test on an expanded product.

You mean testing the finished product for microbes?

• PhilGeis

August 5, 2022 at 9:17 am

@Formi
    Yes