Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating How can thicken decyl glucoside??

• How can thicken decyl glucoside??

Posted by Sara21 on June 22, 2022 at 2:51 pm

Hi
    I am working on a mild shampoo with glucoside but I have challenge to thicken this shampoo.I want to use natural thickener but xantan gum separated. I tried HEC and it’s separated too.
    Formula
    Water 64%
    PQ-10  0.1%
    Lauryl glucoside 10%
    Decyl glucoside  20%
    Citric acid   
    Sodium Banzoate  0.5

chemicalmatt replied 1 year, 8 months ago 10 Members · 19 Replies
  • 19 Replies
  • markbroussard

June 22, 2022 at 2:57 pm

@Sara21

The glucosides being non-ionic are very difficult to thicken … gums are your best bet.  I would switch from Lauryl Glucoside to Coco Glucoside and you will probably have better luck.  Lauryl Glucoside is very viscous and that is probably what is settling out of solution.

• paprik

June 22, 2022 at 7:10 pm

Yeah, HEC is no very good in surfactant systems. I have tried to make it work several times - always a fail! 

Xanthan Gum is, however you need to process that correctly. 
    As Mark said, glucosides are hard to thicken and Lauryl especially. 

Frankly, I don’t like the feel of only glucosides. I believe you should add at least some amphoteric surfactant. :) 

• abdullah

June 23, 2022 at 3:01 am

Lauryl glucoside needs heat. 

Just heat it, mix it and cool it. It will gain viscosity. 
    Decyl is difficult to thicken.

As Paprik said, use this shampoo, if you like it then ok. If you didn’t like it then no need to find out how to thicken it. 
    Change the formula completely. 

• Sara21

June 23, 2022 at 9:14 am

Thanks alot for your help
    I try what you suggested and I tell here the result 

• stanley

June 24, 2022 at 4:29 pm

Use Cocoamide mipa or something similar.  Lower or remove Decyl glucoside and use just for bubble effect. Choose different surfactants.

• ketchito

June 27, 2022 at 12:07 pm

@Sara21 You could alternatively replace PQ-10 by Guar HPTC at 0.2%, which will also help a bit with your viscosity (there is a special grade for clear products). And don’t forget to add disodium EDTA to boost preservation. 

• evchem2

June 27, 2022 at 8:49 pm

When are you adding the xanthan gum and the PQ 10?

• jcast

July 1, 2022 at 4:09 pm

I have used Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose to thicken APGs.  Try at 1%

• natiyo123

July 5, 2022 at 12:14 am

I use sodium lauroyl lactylate and lauryl glucoside together, you have to melt them but once they cool down they thicken without any gum or whatever…

• Sara21

July 5, 2022 at 5:40 pm

@MarkBroussard
    Yes you right .I eliminated lauryl glucoside in this formulation and it’s thicken easily

• Sara21

July 5, 2022 at 5:42 pm

@Paprik
    Yes you right about adding amphoteric surfactant I did that too :).

• Sara21

July 5, 2022 at 6:03 pm

@Abdullah
    Yes  I changed it  finally:D

• Sara21

July 5, 2022 at 6:05 pm

Stanley said:

Use Cocoamide mipa or something similar.  Lower or remove Decyl glucoside and use just for bubble effect. Choose different surfactants.

I realized that using just non ionic surfactant is not a good idea

• Sara21

July 5, 2022 at 6:08 pm

@ketchito
    GHTC is not compatible with non ionic surfactants in my experience. It’s never disolve and separated 

• Sara21

July 5, 2022 at 6:09 pm

@EVchem
    Actually the first thing that I add it PQ-10 and the last thing is xanthan gum

• paprik

July 5, 2022 at 6:56 pm

Sara21 said:

@ketchito
    GHTC is not compatible with non ionic surfactants in my experience. It’s never disolve and separated 

It is perfectly fine with non-ionic surfactants. Are you processing it correctly? GHTC needs acidic environment to hydrate properly. 

• evchem2

July 7, 2022 at 8:39 pm

@Sara21 I would reverse that order and put xanthan gum in first, PQ-10 you could reserve a small amount of water and add that as a premix last

• Sara21

July 12, 2022 at 7:48 pm

Paprik said:

Sara21 said:

@ketchito

It is perfectly fine with non-ionic surfactants. Are you processing it correctly? GHTC needs acidic environment to hydrate properly. 

Yeah.because I didn’t had an anionic surfactant in that formulation even after dispers GHTC  in water and adding citric acid to get 3 or 4 ph but after a day my shampoo separated. 

• chemicalmatt

July 15, 2022 at 8:34 pm

I’ll add here that xanthan gum: anionic resin while polyquaternium-10: cationic resin. These two do not make good dancing partners.