Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Salicylic Acid soluble in triglycerides?

• Salicylic Acid soluble in triglycerides?

Posted by mattthechemist on May 30, 2022 at 8:08 pm

I haven’t worked much with SA, but my understanding is that it requires certain solvents to fully solubilize and prevent recrystallization. Even though it is an oil-soluble molecule, I was under the impression it doesn’t really dissolve well in actual lipids like triglycerides. Am I mistaken?

This is the IL for a product that claims to have 2% Salicylic Acid, and I see none of the traditional solvents that SA dissolves best in. Is it possible to get that much SA solubilized in plant lipids? Maybe under certain conditions (heat, etc)? Thanks for the help!

Matt

(I tried searching but couldn’t find the answer)

Corylus avellana (Hazel) Nut Oil, Vitis vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Caprylic Capric Triglycerides, Calendula officinalis Flower Extract, Camellia japonica (Camellia) Seed Oil, Squalane (Olive), Helianthus annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Arnica montana (Arnica) Flower Extract, Lavandula angustifolia (Lavender) Flower Extract, Nigella sativa (Cumin) Seed Oil, Ubiquinone (CoQ10), Salicylic Acid, Tocopherol (Vitamin E MT50), Rosmarinus officinalis (Rosemary) CO2 Herb Extract

mattthechemist replied 1 year, 10 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • mattthechemist

May 30, 2022 at 8:33 pm

I do not have a sample of this (yet) but the client says it has no crystals after sitting for months. I also question the SA content given the location on the IL (have not seen CoQ10 used at 2%+) but it is marketed as 2% all over the website. 

• markbroussard

May 31, 2022 at 12:32 pm

@MattTheChemist

Yes, just heat the oils up and the SA will go right into solution and generally will be stable with no precipitation.

• mattthechemist

May 31, 2022 at 4:21 pm

Noted! Thank you, @MarkBroussard