Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General Science Trend ingredients: fermented oils

• Trend ingredients: fermented oils

Posted by maria on May 13, 2022 at 8:04 am

I’m having an hard time to figure out how is an oil fermented, can you help? Thank you

maria replied 1 year, 10 months ago 5 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • SYoungInternational

May 13, 2022 at 8:25 am

What oil are you talking about?

I know how cooking oil is extracted.  :D

• maria

May 13, 2022 at 8:43 am
  • Syl

May 13, 2022 at 3:43 pm

To do fermentation you need carbohydrates, are carbs present in olive oil? It is possible that a very small amount of olive pulp remains in the olive oil. This is the only explanation I could come up with, maybe someone else will have a better explanation.

• pharma

May 13, 2022 at 6:41 pm
    Fermented XYZ does not mean that pure XYZ has been digested by microbes but often, that XYZ has been added to water containing all necessary things for microbial live, including added sugar. Wheter or not the process converts any of the XYZ remains elusive. In case of oils (triglycerides), there are several ways how it could go. A: nothing happens, B: secreted lipases hydrolise the triglycerides into glycerin (which may be digested = turns into water and CO2) and free fatty acids, and/or C: microbes digest the oil (some microbes even prefer fatty acids over carbohydrates as carbon source) and leave nothing but their excrements floating in the soup.
    Question is: Is there a benefit? Does the oil become more valuable? Well… cosmetic knows for decades that some ferments are actually highly valued by consumers. As an educated guess, I’d say that the broth from the used microbes (which are often food processing, proven to be safe, microbes) is often very similar no matter what you feed them as long as you feed them well.
  • maria

May 14, 2022 at 6:47 am
  • grapefruit22

May 17, 2022 at 11:50 am

Syl said:

To do fermentation you need carbohydrates, are carbs present in olive oil? It is possible that a very small amount of olive pulp remains in the olive oil. This is the only explanation I could come up with, maybe someone else will have a better explanation.

Oilve oil contains 5-15% squalene.

• pharma

May 17, 2022 at 4:04 pm
    What has squalene (an unsaturated hydrocarbon, not a carbohydrate) to do with all this?
    The explanation by @maria does look like a good explanation. All you have to do is let your harvest, prior to oil extraction, stay around and it’ll ferment on its own. This technique isn’t new; it’s one of the key steps in making good chocolate/cacao.
  • grapefruit22

May 18, 2022 at 8:01 pm

Actually nothing, it was irrelevant.
    The manufacturers of fermented oils that I found declare that fermentation takes place after the oil is obtained. According to them the main difference after fermentation is the increased content of free fatty acids, and the resulting benefits are reduced oil greasiness and better emulsion stability. This is their marketing claim.

• pharma

May 20, 2022 at 4:41 am

So, you mean, they take spoiled oil, rebrand it as ‘fermented’ and sell it for more $$? I’m at a lack of words…

• maria

May 25, 2022 at 4:18 am

Problema solved: vegetable oils are fermented by yeast inoculation in a controled enviroment.
    http://cosmetoscope.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/PT_FermentoilEN-1.pdf

Thank you!