Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Cosmetic Industry pH of face creams

• pH of face creams

Posted by Karo_lina on April 27, 2022 at 9:39 am

Hi, just for curiosity i was checking my face and eye creams (bought in a shop, not from my company) and it turns out pH of them was 3,5 to 3,9 . Can that kind of pH cause skin problems of any kind ? 

abdullah replied 1 year, 11 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • camel

April 27, 2022 at 9:47 am

Is it an exfoliating cream? Those generally have a lower pH. I think 3.5 to 3.9 would be okay.

Here is a list from Paula’s Choice detailing the pH ranges of their various lines of products, you may find it interesting:

• Karo_lina

April 27, 2022 at 10:46 am

Camel said:

Is it an exfoliating cream? Those generally have a lower pH. I think 3.5 to 3.9 would be okay.

Here is a list from Paula’s Choice detailing the pH ranges of their various lines of products, you may find it interesting:

It is said on a label that it is moisturizing cream, and you can use it twice a day.

• abdullah

April 27, 2022 at 1:48 pm

Yes it is completely safe. 

What are the ingredients?

• Karo_lina

April 28, 2022 at 6:07 am

Abdullah said:

so, won’t you have irritated and reddened skin after using a cosmetic with a pH of 3.5, twice a day for half a year?

• graillotion

April 28, 2022 at 6:24 am

Karo_lina said:

Abdullah said:

so, won’t you have irritated and reddened skin after using a cosmetic with a pH of 3.5, twice a day for half a year?

I have a daily use cream deo…that was tested at 3.8 for a while.   Most people this was no issue.  I did have a single subject where this did cause mild irritation.  When I took the formula to 4.4, no one experienced any irritation.

• abdullah

April 28, 2022 at 12:05 pm

Karo_lina said:

Abdullah said:

That depends on ingredients that you are using but suppose your ingredients work the same in each pH, a product with pH 3.5 will be better than 5.5