Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Face Wash Formulation

• Face Wash Formulation

Posted by Anonymous on October 27, 2016 at 3:23 am

Hi. I am currently working on a face wash formulation for normal skin types. 
    I am new to this and was wondering if I could get your opinions. 

I have been using ALES (21&70%, but not at the same time- in different formulations) and CAPB (30%). I tweak the concentrations from 5-15%. 

I would like to achieve a face wash that is able to remove make up and excess oil and dirt. It will be a foaming dispenser in which I hope the foam will be dense with small bubbles.

Will these 2 surfactants help me achieve a good foam and cleansing ability? 

Thank you. 

Anonymous replied 7 years, 4 months ago 4 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • belassi

October 27, 2016 at 3:45 am

ALES and CAPB is an excellent combination. Be careful to keep the pH below 6.0
    Depending where you are, you may find the blend, Plantaren APB30 or Texapon KD S03, an attractive alternative.

• Anonymous

October 27, 2016 at 4:02 am

@Belassi, thank you! Will keep in mind to keep pH below 6.

• chemist77

October 27, 2016 at 4:24 am

@Belassi what is the INCI name of Texapon KD S03, tried searching but nada!!

• belassi

October 27, 2016 at 4:20 pm

KD SO3 is a blend of ALS, ALES, CAPB and high-purity LDEA, I believe.

• chemist77

October 27, 2016 at 5:18 pm

Almost same as Plantaren APB30 except the APG part.

• Anonymous

October 28, 2016 at 3:42 am

Will the type of foam dispenser affect how the foam turns out greatly? 

• johnb

October 28, 2016 at 8:09 am

“Will the type of foam dispenser affect how the foam turns out greatly?”

Yes

• Anonymous

October 28, 2016 at 9:30 am

Well I have been experimenting with ALES (21% and 70%) and CAPB only. I tried working with SLES, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate and Lauryl glucoside but the foam is still not dense and has a mixture of big and small bubbles. 

I am looking for a foam that resembles the Biore Marshmallow Whip foam - it is dense and contains small bubbles (pretty much looks like a marshmallow, hence its name) 

What can I do to improve my foam?

• chemist77

October 28, 2016 at 12:15 pm

Methocel 40-202, try it and you would have a ‘creamy’ foam if that is what you are looking for, start @ 0.3% and see how it works out.

• oldperry

October 28, 2016 at 12:52 pm

You might also try using about 0.2% Guar Hydroxypropyl Trimonium Chloride.  It is a foam stabilizer

• johnb

October 28, 2016 at 1:33 pm

A good starting point is to check up the ingredients listing of the product(s) you are trying to copy. I don’t think you have done this.

• Anonymous

November 2, 2016 at 1:48 am

@johnb yes. I haven’t as not all the ingredients are available to me. I decided I should include the necessary ingredients of a face wash such as diluent, surfactants, humectants etc and see what it will come up to. 

after several attempts, i have yet to find a proper ratio between ales and capb OR a surfactant that gives me the foam I want. 

currently i am experimenting with surfactants and their quantity.

with that being said, my face wash formulation is going well, it is just that the foam is not there yet. but moisture and cleansing ability is good.

• Anonymous

November 3, 2016 at 1:21 am

@perry I tried with Guar and the foam was much better. Thank you.

However, the formulation was watery. I only added 0.1 in the previous formulation, so I’m hoping with 0.2 it might make the formulation less watery as well since it also has viscosity increasing properties.