Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Cosmetic Industry Resources Inexpensive way to test carrier oils?

• Inexpensive way to test carrier oils?

Posted by graillotion on April 17, 2022 at 5:04 am

Early on in my skincare adventures, I ran across a well-known seller of carrier oils, that basically sent soybean oil…no matter what exotic colored and scented oil you ordered.

Since then, I have stuck with the short list of reputable sellers.

I have found a popular seller of carrier oils on ETSY, that I would like to believe is selling oils that are as labeled, but I have some nagging doubts.  When contacted, they were not forthcoming about their source, or any documentation.

If it were not too costly, I would be willing to send a sample to a lab for fatty acid profile analysis…but have no idea who does this in the US?

Anyone have an idea?

camel replied 1 year, 11 months ago 5 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Syl

April 17, 2022 at 5:31 am

Eurofins has a food lab, but they are probably not inexpensive.  Call UC Davis Analytical Lab
    Phone: (530) 752-0147 They might be able to help you, or send you to the right lab, they do a lot of testing for the food industry.  Also if you google food labs around Fresno CA, there are several independent food labs in that area like https://safefoodalliance.com that may offer that kind of testing.

• GeorgeBenson

April 17, 2022 at 5:38 pm

@Graillotion i believe i’ve come across the same shady seller, that seemed to have every oil and they were impossibly
    cheap and would aways ship from india. Think I still have some of their stuff laying around. I also thought about getting their stuff tested but had no idea, and still have no idea, how to do that. 

Now I get most of my oils from Jedwards, is this one of the reputable sellers you were talking about? They seem legit. What are some other ones?
  • graillotion

April 17, 2022 at 6:36 pm

@Graillotion i believe i’ve come across the same shady seller, that seemed to have every oil and they were impossibly
    cheap and would aways ship from india. Think I still have some of their stuff laying around. I also thought about getting their stuff tested but had no idea, and still have no idea, how to do that. 

Now I get most of my oils from Jedwards, is this one of the reputable sellers you were talking about? They seem legit. What are some other ones?

Sadly, there are many shady sellers.  The one you speak of, is at the top of many lists.  The one I was referring to…is US based, and might have the initials (BA). :(  

Jedwards is a top-notch source as would be NDA, and MC, a few other good sellers would also include LC, and FSS.  This is not an exhaustive list, but should give you enough sources.

Simply Ingredients would be another source beyond reproach, but she has a very limited supply, but this is supposed to be increasing over time.

To the wider group, as I have started buying my TEC here: Buy Triethyl Citrate (TEC) Online Store - Essential Natural Oils  And they seem to have a wide offering of products….any thoughts?

• Syl

April 17, 2022 at 7:02 pm

@GeorgeBenson Jedwards is very reputable, best quality, and QA documents.
    I never buy oils from companies who do not have a lab and test the oils themselves.  

• GeorgeBenson

April 17, 2022 at 9:30 pm

@Graillotion oh no BA is not on the up and up?! That’s too bad. I think I get MCT oil from them. Very happy with jedwards and the others though.

What is triethyl citrate exactly and what do you use it for?
  • graillotion

April 17, 2022 at 10:41 pm

@Graillotion oh no BA is not on the up and up?! That’s too bad. I think I get MCT oil from them. Very happy with jedwards and the others though.

What is triethyl citrate exactly and what do you use it for?

A company like that won’t cheat of every oil…just the ones that are costly.  It is easy to test….order something like Tamanu, or Black seed…something that clearly will have a color or smell or texture…and you can judge. :)🙂

The beauty of soybean oil…is it is a very nice…and an overlooked oil…so the customers that get it will write rave reviews.  :D  They are so bold…that they don’t even blend the oils…to try and give a hint of scent or color of the authentic oil.

TEC???  Omg…can’t live without it.  Quite the multifunctional…from fragrance fixer, to pH maintainer, emollient, solubilizer, to 2nd largest ingredient in my deo.  (Triple ester of citric acid.)  Might be easier to ask…what can’t it do?

EnSense Silk TEC | Triethyl Citrate | Acme-Hardesty 

• justaerin

April 18, 2022 at 1:41 am
    @Graillotion Looks like a very good price for TEC. The only other place I’ve found it is a fragrance ingredients repacker, and they charge a lot more for it.
    But I did some cross-checking of prices and info for some essential oils and other things I’m familiar with against other repacker/supplier sites I trust who give more information about what they’re selling, and I don’t think they’re the oil supplier you’re looking for. Easiest one was how much they’re charging for Neossance Squalane. Ouch.
    Also, they’re not as informative about and occasionally downright confusing regarding some of the essential oils I looked at. A bit fuzzy with origins, sources, and details sometimes. Maybe they’re responsive to inquiry. But they seem to be targeting small businesses and those looking to start small businesses who may not know enough to ask the right questions about origins as well as safety.
    What bothers me is that they have app for both IOS and android. Why would anyone need to have that? They don’t seem big enough for it to be a good tool for interacting with their inventory. Useful as a low key way to make a little money with data collection though. Special rewards for dowloading an app for an essential oils supplier just
    throws all kinds of red flags in my cynical, shrivelled heart.

They’re probably ok for what they are, but I know you’re not content with good enough. I’d keep buying TEC if they’re the best option, I’d be skeptical about the oils. And I wouldn’t download the app.

• camel

April 18, 2022 at 1:45 am

Simply Ingredients would be another source beyond reproach, but she has a very limited supply, but this is supposed to be increasing over time.

Glad to see some love for this small shop. Excellent quality and great packaging. I purchase a lot of ingredients from her, but on the topic of oils: I compared her watermelon seed and strawberry seed oils to a suspiciously cheap alternative I bought, and there were differences in odor and appearance. It definitely matters where you buy them from!

Valerie is so sweet and has been so graceful in helping me with formulation advice despite her busy schedule. She has confirmed with me that she has plans to increase her supply soon, and I recommend her shop to anyone looking for a trustworthy source.