Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Advanced Questions In a cleanser at pH ~5, is salicylic acid always in salt form?

• In a cleanser at pH ~5, is salicylic acid always in salt form?

Posted by abdullah on April 5, 2022 at 6:15 am

I want to make a 2% salicylic acid cleanser with 4% SLES+ 1% CAPB at pH ~5. 

My question is: is salicylic acid at pH 5 in a cleanser always in salt form no matter what or there is some way to make it be at acid form? 

grapefruit22 replied 1 year, 10 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • abdullah

April 5, 2022 at 6:15 am

@Pharma any comments 

• Dhfini

May 5, 2022 at 11:46 am

In salt form IF you convert it from the acid.  I would like to know if Sodium salicylate has the same antiacne properties as Salicylic acid.  IF so, then it wouldn’t much matter, correct?  

• grapefruit22

May 5, 2022 at 2:03 pm

Abdullah said:

I want to make a 2% salicylic acid cleanser with 4% SLES+ 1% CAPB at pH ~5. 

My question is: is salicylic acid at pH 5 in a cleanser always in salt form no matter what or there is some way to make it be at acid form? 

If you convert salicylic acid to salt, then you can lower the ph even below 4. Just like with Sodium Dehydroacetate or Anisic Acid. Dehydroacetic acid is not water soluble, but if you raise the pH to convert it to salt, then it becomes water soluble, and you can lower the pH to liberate the acid. Sodium salicylate is no longer oil soluble, so it doesn’t penetrate the pores as well as salicylic acid does. It should still have anti-acne and anti-inflammatory properties, but I don’t know if it is as good as salicylic acid.