Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Milk In Lotions

• Milk In Lotions

Posted by Didi on January 2, 2022 at 11:05 pm

Hey guys, I recently made a lotion with milk. Using equal proportions of milk and water. The milk was a solution of evaporated powdered and water. I also didn’t add a chelating agent. Now my lotion has turned a darker shade, although the smell and feel hasn’t changed. 

By the way I also added sepiwhite to the formulation. I added it to the oil phase.

So please what do you think is making the color change?

Didi replied 2 years, 2 months ago 6 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • abdullah

January 3, 2022 at 1:29 am

What is the pH and what preservative are you using?

• Didi

January 3, 2022 at 7:17 am

I used liquid germal plus as the preservative. The pH is about 6.5

• gordof

January 3, 2022 at 10:31 am

Did you use other ingredients than milk and water for the lotion? Maybe the Darkening has nothing to do with the milk you added and more with another ingredient. Can you share your ingredients list?  i see no reason way milk should darken over time. 

• abdullah

January 3, 2022 at 10:41 am

Didi said:

I used liquid germal plus as the preservative. The pH is about 6.5

How much preservative? 

It may be contaminated. 

Can you share a pic.

• Didi

January 4, 2022 at 10:59 pm

My ingredients list:

Water and milk at equal ratios

Glycerin 3%
    Guar gum 0.5%

Stearic acid 2%
    Emulsifying wax 3%
    Shea butter 2%
    Beeswax 2%
    Oil 8%

Germal plus 0.5%
    Tocopherol 0.5
    Rosemary EO 0.5%
    Lavender FO 0.5%

Niacinamide 4%
    Alpha arbutin 1%
    Sepiwhite 2%

Zinc 2%

Here’s also a pic of the cream now. It was a lot lighter when made last week. Today it started smelling a little off

• graillotion

January 4, 2022 at 11:17 pm

So it looks like you are making a whitening cream.

May I ask the obvious question?  Why the heck did you put milk in there?

Secondly…do a knock-out test….make the same product without the milk….see what happens.  Report back.

I do not work with whitening ingredients…is there a reason your pH is smack dab in the middle of the bug zone? (Limited by an ingredient?) 

So first…get a chelate…as you need one.

I am assuming you added milk…for maybe lactic acid???  If so…just lower your pH by using lactic acid.  You’ll be able to advertise the same thing…and upgrade to a quality ingredient.

Aloha.

• Bo77

January 4, 2022 at 11:57 pm

I can tell you that I tried Sepiwhite (Undecylenoyl phenylalanine) - your product has to be under pH5 or over pH7, otherwise it’s very finicky, will break formula. Also, sepiwhite doesn’t like to play nice with other lighteners. Can’t tell you about zinc, I don’t work with zinc, but color change can definitely happen with 4% niacinamide. Tocopherol higher, due to your oils, chelating agent, more (mix) preservative, lower your pH. Store in dak container. I can’t tell you anything about milk, as I don’t work with it. These curds can be from your milk but sepiwhite can also do similar thing to this. I can’t tell you anything more about your formula bc I never used your ingredients from oil phase. 

• abdullah

January 5, 2022 at 5:13 am

As Graillotion said, first of all add a chelating agent. 

That was the batch size and what mixer or homogenizer did you use? 

What is oil that you are using?

Melting maybe because it has trapped to much air. Too much air trapped can make a product look white and opaque that what it really is. 

This current color is normal for 2% shea butter. More shea butter will make it darker. Your oil may also change the color. 

• ngarayeva001

January 6, 2022 at 2:02 am

Food isn’t preservable in cosmetics in most cases. It’s likely contaminated 

• Didi

January 9, 2022 at 8:34 pm

I just want to thank everyone here for all their suggestions. I tried it again but this time without the milk. I replaced the alpha arbutin with licorice root powder and it turned out superb so far. It truly helps with hyperpigmentation and overall smoothness of the skin. Thank you very much again.