Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Cosmetic Industry Resources Need solvent for hydrophobic powder to take pH reading

• Need solvent for hydrophobic powder to take pH reading

Posted by mbach on November 9, 2021 at 3:52 pm

Hey there!

I’m new to this forum. I’m having trouble figuring out what the standard procedure would be for stability on a hydrophobic, powdered dry shampoo. I need to be able to solubilize a competitor sample in order to test the pH. I’ve considered a small amount of surfactant that wouldn’t interfere with the potassium chloride in the pH probe. 

Any thoughts?

bill_toge replied 2 years, 4 months ago 6 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • biofm

November 9, 2021 at 4:19 pm

Just curious what solvents you tried so far.

• mbach

November 9, 2021 at 4:56 pm

A 1:10 methanol-water solution. It works, but I’m afraid the methanol will interact with potassium chloride and not give me an accurate reading

• mbach

November 9, 2021 at 5:09 pm

I’ve also tried agitating with both a stir bar and shaking in a vial with a 100x water dilution, but only part of the powdered mixture is hydrophilic. Based on an EPA method - 1 part water, 1 part sample; agitate for ~5 minutes; remove solids; take pH of dissolved/dispersed solids. 

• michalby

November 10, 2021 at 12:00 am

mbach said:

A 1:10 methanol-water solution. It works, but I’m afraid the methanol will interact with potassium chloride and not give me an accurate reading

I can confirm that it is ok to measure pH in methanol solutions, don’t worry about that.

• pharma

November 10, 2021 at 5:41 am

10% methanol should be fine. However, not every alcoholic solution can easily be measured ;) .

• PhilGeis

November 10, 2021 at 7:43 am

What is the relevance of this method for measuring pH?

• pharma

November 10, 2021 at 12:47 pm

@PhilGeis Fun? Claim? Too much free time? Finally a use for the pH meter? :smiley:

• PhilGeis

November 10, 2021 at 1:51 pm

Pharma!!!  Got it!

• mbach

November 10, 2021 at 2:36 pm

I’m developing a powdered dry shampoo. This method is to measure stability in conditions of competitors. One of the competitors uses a hydrophobic ingredient (silica silylate) that makes it challenging to just use water as a diluent.

• pharma

November 10, 2021 at 9:05 pm
    @mbach What exactly are you making? A dry shampoo for ‘dry washing’ or a dry base to be diluted with water and used as wet shampoo?
  • bill_toge

November 11, 2021 at 6:09 pm
    if it’s hydrophobic, a pH measurement will be in no way useful
    pH is only meaningful with powders that dissolve in or are miscible with water